Educational Classes offered in any Bullitt County Schools
1) “Catch My Breath” (offered to fifth grades.) CATCH My Breath is an evidence-based youth nicotine vaping prevention program that will provide your students with the skills to resist peer pressure and media influences to try e-cigarettes. This program consists of 4 unique lessons for each group, that are approximately 35 minutes each. More information: https://catch.org/program/vaping-prevention/
2) “5-2-1-0” (offered to fifth grades)- This program is focused on eating healthy and moving your body. Giving students the knowledge, they need to help fight a growing problem of obesity and health related conditions from obesity. 5 -eating fruits and vegetables, 2 or less hours of screen time, 1 hour or more of physical activity, 0 sugary drinks. Goes into the importance of how our body responds to it all. More information: https://www.chfs.ky.gov/agencies/dph/dpqi/cdpb/Pages/5210.aspx
3) Dental Health (offered to K-5) consider scheduling a 30-minute presentation on Dental Health to grades K-5. One of the Healthy Kentuckians 2010 objectives is to increase to at least 90% the population of people 6 years and older who know the primary methods for preventing/controlling dental caries, gingivitis, and periodontal disease. More information: https://smilekentucky.org/things-to-learn/what-is-smile-kentucky/
4) Handwashing (offered to K-5) is the single most important method of preventing the spread of illnesses. We have a cute program that combines the use of glowing germs and video presentation (if we have time) to show how fast germs spread and how we can help slow the spread. This is a 30-minute presentation.
5) Puberty Classes (for 6th graders only) This program discusses the changes students are about to go through in their life. It deals with the facts of hygiene, body changes for both boys and girls. We do have a male educator to teach the boys class and we have a female educator who teaches the girls section. This is a 50–60-minute presentation. We ask that schools let parents know ahead of time that this topic is going to be discuss. Permission slips are an optional for this topic. More information: https://www.always.com/en-us/puberty-talk-materials-for-parents
6) Smoking & Vaping: Truth or Dare is a one-hour program designed for 7th Grade. The Program involves a 20 minute discussion before and after the 30-minute video. The focus is helping Teens identify the truth about tobacco use. The video, hosted by Leeza Gibbons, shows the immediate effects of tobacco use on teens through thermal imaging and long-terms effect of tobacco use through visits with long-term smokers suffering from COPD and Emphysema. This is a very effective down-to earth discovery process that provides the teen much to ponder. The goal is to enable the students to make positive health decisions concerning tobacco use and lifestyle behaviors. This lesson can easily fit into any health/health-related teaching unit.
7) Positive Potential (offered to 8th grade, this is 5 sessions in a full week, if possible, one hour each) primary goal for the Positive Potential program is to provide information that will enable the youth to understand most importantly that they are valuable and that attached to that value is purpose. When a student has the understand that every decision, they make can have an effect on one if not all the other five parts to their whole person (physical, emotional, mental, social, and spiritual) combined with their understanding of value and legacy, their chances of success in life are greatly improved. Permission slips are asked for schools by the Board of Education. More information and see curriculum: https://positiveteenhealth.org/programs/positive-potential/
Request a copy of curriculum please visit: Positive Potential | Youth.gov
8) STI Education (offered in 9th grade) Quality provides students with the knowledge and skills to help them be healthy and avoid human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), sexually transmitted infections (STI) and unintended pregnancy.
CPR & First Aid
Bullitt County Health Department is no longer doing in-person classes. You may do the online American Heart Association E-Learning class and do the check off with BCHD. Please call 502-955-5355 for more details.
Professional Speakers for Health and Wellness
Provides professional speakers for health and wellness issues to schools, community organizations and worksites. Reach out to us if you are interested in having a health presentation.
The worksite wellness program offered through the Bullitt County Health Department is a chance for people to maintain or improve their health. Thee program is designed to assist participants in finding ways to achieve their health goals in a way that coincides with their workplace. Studies show that healthier employees lead to a happier and more productive work environment. Since health goals can be diverse, the program is very flexible to the needs and desires of the participants. Some examples of health improvement goals could include health coaching, weight loss, smoking cessation, stress reduction, and improved physical activity.
We at BCHD love to be invited to participate in community resource or health fairs. Please contact us by 502-955-5355 or [email protected] to see if we are available. Thank you for your interest in BCHD resources!