This 9-minute KET production explains the HANDS program which operates in all of Kentucky's counties. Please take a few minutes to watch and find out how HANDS can benefit you and your family.
Scroll down to request more information.
HANDS: What is the HANDS Program?
The Health Access Nurturing Development Services (HANDS) program is a free voluntary home visitation program for new and expectant parents. Families begin by meeting with a HANDS Parent Visitor who will discuss any questions or concerns about pregnancy or a baby's first years. Based on the discussion, all families will receive information and learn about resources available in the community for new parents. Some families will receive further support through home visitation. That’s right, information brought right to the home.
Who Can Participate?
Pregnant moms and/or expecting dads and families with babies under 3 months old, who reside in Bullitt County, KY can participate. If a family adopts a baby before baby is 3 months old, they can participate.
When do HAND Services Begin?
Services can begin during pregnancy or anytime before a child is 3 months old.
Why Participate in HANDS?
- Parents are the most important people in a baby’s life.
- Parents are the first and most important teachers a child will ever have.
- Parenting is a very demanding job, and all parents have worries, questions and stress.
What Can Parents Expect?
- Support through your pregnancy and the early years of your baby’s life
- Ways to make your home safer for your baby
- Information on how to care for your baby
- Facts that will let you know your baby is growing and developing in healthy ways
- Activities that you and your baby can enjoy together that can stimulate your child’s brain development
- Access to other community services
What are the Main Goals of HANDS?
- Healthy pregnancies and births
- Healthy child growth and development
- Healthy, safe homes
- Self-sufficient families
For more information/enrollment call 502-955-5668
I chose HANDS because I wanted to do something different with my youngest and HANDS has helped so much with that. When I had my twins, I was a first-time mom, and I didn't know anything. I stayed home with my twins 24/7 and I didn't interact with them like I should. When I had my youngest, I didn't want to do what I did with the twins. I wanted to be a better mother, so I chose HANDS and it helped so much. Not only does it help with my youngest, it also helps with my twins. I have learned so much and grew closer with all three of my kids. I would 100% recommend HANDS to everyone. With me being a single, working mom I forget this and that and sometimes I don’t know what to do, but HANDS has helped me to help my baby reach his milestones. HANDS is a great program.
Autumn Earley, Mom of 3, HANDS Participant