Procedures for Site Evaluations:When applying for a site evaluation you will need:
- Complete an application (applications are available at the Bullitt County Health Department or click here for Application for Site Evaluation).
- A copy of the plat with the dimensions of the property.
- Cash, check, or money order for $250 (farm evaluation $350) made payable to Bullitt County Health Department.
- Written directions or map to the property.
An appointment will be set up at this time. You are responsible for having a full size backhoe and an experienced operator at the site the day of the appointment. This appointment may be cancelled due to inclement weather such as snow or rain. If these conditions exist, you should verify your appointment 502-955-7867.
You will need to make sure that your lot is clearly marked. All property lines must be marked.
When the site evaluation has been completed and you receive the system requirements, you may apply for the onsite sewage permit (You have to have a sewage permit before you can apply for a building permit).
Procedures for Sewage Permit:
(Permits issued during environmentalist hours only, 7:30AM-9:30AM Monday through Friday)
When applying for a sewage permit you will need:
- A certified installer to submit a drawing of the site which should include the proposed structure and the location and size of the system to be installed.
- Blueprint (house plans) with the square footage, shape, and dimensions of the structure.
- Footprint that includes the structure location on the lot, all setbacks from the property lines, and any additions to the lot (unattached garages, decks, sheds, etc.).
- Cash, check, or a money order for $275 made payable to Bullitt County Health Department.
A sewage permit will be issued after all of the above have been approved by the environmentalist. The installer will call for an inspection when the system has been installed.
Procedures for an Existing Systems:
1. Fill out existing system form at the health department. You will need to know the type of septic system that has been installed (Tank size and the total length of the lateral lines).
2. The fee is $75.00 and will be paid to the health department with the form is submitted. An appointment will be made at that time.
3. You will have to locate the system and the lateral field before the date of the inspection. The septic tank and the lateral lines have to be staked. You can find the tank by probing the ground. If the system is too deep for a probe the ends of the lateral field can be found using a post hole differ. Do not dig up the whole line. A small area with rock exposed will be adequate.
4. Make a detailed drawing on the back of the existing system from with your signature and date.
5. An inspector will come out and verify that there is a tank and lateral field on the property and there is no leakage at the time of the inspection. If there is any leakage, the system will be not approved.
6. If the system is approved, the inspector will give the applicant a copy of the existing system from and the permit approval form to take to planning and zoning.