WIC Services

RE: Opportunity for Public Comment on the Kentucky Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) State Plan Grant Application

WIC Annual Public Comment Period is Now Open! Do you have thoughts or feedback about WIC? We’d love to hear from you!

WIC is a supplemental food program that provides nutrition counseling, breastfeeding support, education, nutritious foods, and referrals to healthcare services. WIC improves the health of pregnant, breastfeeding, and postpartum women, infants, and children up to age 5. The Kentucky Department for Public Health, Division of Maternal and Child Health, contracts with all 61 local health departments and two contracted agencies to provide WIC Services to over 115,000 participants across the Commonwealth. Each month over $7.8 million in food transactions occur in Kentucky WIC-authorized grocery stores.

Each year the Kentucky WIC develops a plan for providing services in our state. The WIC State Plan is a requirement for all WIC state agencies from the US Department of Agriculture. The plan explains how we will use our federal funds to provide healthy foods, nutrition education, breastfeeding support, and referrals to other services to qualified families in Kentucky. As we refine our program plan for next year, we invite your comments on WIC services.

Please share this information with Kentucky families and other maternal and child health stakeholders. Your feedback is vital to the success of Kentucky WIC programs and services. Please share information on what you like about WIC, any changes you would like to see, or any other relevant feedback.

Upon receiving and approving the State Plan, Kentucky will receive funding dependent upon federal budgetary appropriations to support WIC Services statewide.

The Department for Public Health accepts written comments related to the State Plan through close of business, on July 25, 2023, for the 2024 State Plan submission.

Written comments may be sent to: [email protected] with the Subject: WIC State Plan Public Comments or mailed to Department for Public Health, Nutrition Service Branch, WIC Program Public Comments, CHFS, DPH, 275 E. Main St., HS1GW-A, Frankfort, KY 4062.

Thank you for contributing to the health and well-being of Kentucky families.

Bullitt County Community Food Resources

Managing your household and food budget can be challenging. Sometimes there’s not enough income to cover your expenses. It’s important to get enough food and healthy food, and there are many community resources to help, if you’re having trouble making ends meet.

Here’s a list of community food resources. Using these resources may help you stretch your food budget and allow you to use your income for other expenses, such as mortgage or medical bills.

Bullitt County Food Resources

Breastfeeding Resources

Breastfeeding is a learning process for both mother and child. There are bound to be times of frustration, as well as plenty of moments of pride and accomplishment. No matter what stage of the breastfeeding journey you’re in, WIC is there to help. WIC provides breastfeeding support, education, and resources to mothers who want to breastfeed their babies.

WIC Breastfeeding Support

The Office of Women's Health (OWH) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is spreading awareness of the importance of breastfeeding to help moms give their newborns the best possible start in life.

Women's Health Breastfeeding Guide

La Leche League USA Hotline for free non-emergency questions about breastfeeding. Toll Free 1-877-452-5324

La Leche League USA Hotline

The Two-Bite Club

This bilingual, instructional storybook was created to teach young children to the MyPlate program. Parents or caregivers read the book to youngsters and urge them to sample items from each food group by consuming two bites, exactly like the characters in the narrative do. The back of the book includes a MyPlate coloring page, a blank certificate for the Two Bite Club, pages of engaging activities for children, and tips for raising healthy eaters.

Learn More

October 2022 - 2 fl oz Ready-to-Feed Liquid Product Recall Information

Abbott is initiating a proactive, voluntary recall of certain lots of 2 fl oz/59 ml bottles of ready-to-feed liquid products, including the brands Similac Pro-Total Comfort®, Similac® 360 Total Care®, Similac® 360 Total Care® Sensitive, Similac® Special Care® 24, Similac® Stage 1, Similac® Water (Sterilized), Similac NeoSure®, and Pedialyte® Electrolyte Solution. These products were manufactured at the company’s Columbus, Ohio, manufacturing facility and distributed primarily to hospitals, doctor’s offices, distributors, and some retailers in the US, including Puerto Rico; a limited number of products were sent to Canada, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, Panama, and certain countries in the Caribbean.


WIC services through the Bullitt County Health Department are conducted via telephone OR in-person AND must be a scheduled appointment. Please call 502-955-7837 for more information and to schedule an appointment. For more information and updates, please visit Kentucky Department of Public Health.

What is WIC?

WIC provides supplemental foods, nutrition education and referrals to health care, at no cost to:

  • low-income pregnant, breastfeeding and postpartum women
  • Infants-newborn to 12 months
  • Children-age 1 to 5 years who are determined to be at nutritional risk.

How do you get WIC?

To be fully eligible for the WIC Program, applicants must be determined by a health professional, at no cost, to be at nutritional risk (i.e., have certain medical-based or diet-based risk conditions).

  • A person who participates or has family members participate in certain other benefit programs, such as SNAP, Medicaid, or TANF, automatically meets the income eligibility requirements.
  • To see if you are eligible for WIC, you may also use the WIC Prescreening Tool. This presceening tool is NOT an application for WIC. For more information or to apply for WIC benefits please call 502-955-7837

    Are you eligible?

    To be eligible, you must have an annual household income (before taxes) that is below the amount listed on the table

    *For households with more than eight people, add $8,399 per additional person. Always check with the appropriate managing agency to ensure the most accurate guidelines.

    What will you receive?

    Healthy Foods - Foods you or your children may receive are:

    • Infant formula if under age 1
    • Milk and Cheese
    • Vitamin C-rich juices
    • Iron-rich cereals
    • Eggs
    • Dried bean or Peanut Butter

    Nutrition Education - You will also get nutrition information to help you choose nutritous foods and improve your and your family's health.

    Health Care - WIC can help you find regular health care and childhood shots if needed.

    Why is WIC important?

    • Healthy foods help children grow and develop normally.
    • Good nutrition helps to protect your whole family against health problems.
    • WIC helps your community by building strong, healthy families.

    In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

    Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

    To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at: HERE from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

    1. mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
      Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
      1400 Independence Avenue, SW
      Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
    2. fax: (202) 690-7442; or
    3. email: [email protected].
    4. De acuerdo con la ley federal de derechos civiles y las normas y políticas de derechos civiles del Departamento de Agricultura de los Estados Unidos (USDA), esta entidad está prohibida de discriminar por motivos de raza, color, origen nacional, sexo (incluyendo identidad de género y orientación sexual), discapacidad, edad, o represalia o retorsión por actividades previas de derechos civiles.

      La información sobre el programa puede estar disponible en otros idiomas que no sean el inglés. Las personas con discapacidades que requieren medios alternos de comunicación para obtener la información del programa (por ejemplo, Braille, letra grande, cinta de audio, lenguaje de señas americano (ASL), etc.) deben comunicarse con la agencia local o estatal responsable de administrar el programa o con el Centro TARGET del USDA al (202) 720-2600 (voz y TTY) o comuníquese con el USDA a través del Servicio Federal de Retransmisión al (800) 877-8339. Para presentar una queja por discriminación en el programa, el reclamante debe llenar un formulario AD-3027, formulario de queja por discriminación en el programa del USDA, el cual puede obtenerse en línea en: https://www.usda.gov/sites/default/files/documents/USDA- OASCR%20P-Complaint-Form-0508-0002-508-11-28-17Fax2Mail.pdf, de cualquier oficina de USDA, llamando al (866) 632-9992, o escribiendo una carta dirigida a USDA. La carta debe contener el nombre del demandante, la dirección, el número de teléfono y una descripción escrita de la acción discriminatoria alegada con suficiente detalle para informar al Subsecretario de Derechos Civiles (ASCR) sobre la naturaleza y fecha de una presunta violación de derechos civiles. El formulario AD-3027 completado o la carta debe presentarse a USDA por:

      1. correo: U.S. Department of Agriculture
        Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
        1400 Independence Avenue, SW
        Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
      2. fax: (202) 690-7442; or
      3. correo electrónico: [email protected].
      4. Esta institución es un proveedor que ofrece igualdad de oportunidades.

        This institution is an equal opportunity provider. Updated 9/12/2022

        Free Language Assistance & Other Aids and Services Available

        Need help? If you have difficulty understanding or reading English or have a disability, free language assistance or other aids and services are available upon request. Please contact your local WIC clinic or the State WIC Office at 1-877-597-0367. If you have a disability and need assistance calling us, contact the State Relay Number at 711 or for TTY to voice, call 800-648-6056.

        ¿Necesita ayuda? Si le es difícil entender o leer el inglés, o si tiene alguna discapacidad, puede recibir ayuda con el idioma u otros apoyos y servicios sin costo alguno para usted, basta con solicitarlos. Por favor contacte a la clínica de WIC en su localidad o a la Oficina Estatal de WIC al (877) 597-0367. Si tiene alguna discapacidad y necesita ayuda para l​lamarnos, contacte al Número Estatal de Retransmisión llamando al 711; o, para el servicio de voz a TTY, llame al (866) 490-4403.